Massage treatment for Anxiety Relief
At some point in your life you will feel anxiety, it is part of what makes us who we are, that hint of fear or the anxious nervousness as we wait or prepare for something.
Anxiety can be a perfectly normal feeling and is often brushed off soon after the moment has passed, for some people however , anxiety can be a crippling condition where those who suffer, feel constantly uneasy and may not be able to remember the last time that they were able to relax.
The more constant the feeling of anxiety, the more impact the condition has on the the patients daily life, the long term condition is often referred to as generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and sufferers can be made to feel anxious about a variety of things.
As with most mental health disorders, the problem (anxiety) is a symptom and is triggered by a whole host of conditions.
Causes of Anxiety
1. Panic disorder - Panic disorder is a condition where the patient will have regular and recurring panic attacks often for no reason at all. The ‘attack’ occurs when the body experiences an intense rush of both psychological and physical symptoms. The psychological (mental) symptoms include fear, apprehension and anxiety and in severe cases these may trigger physical symptoms such as nausea, sweating , trembling and palpitations (feeling of irregular heartbeat). This condition is twice as common in women than in men and around 10% will suffer from the condition in their life.
2. Phobias - A phobia is a form of anxiety triggered by fear, this fear can be in the form of a situation, animal, object or person. When we are confronted by a real threat such as being attacked or an accident we can see happening, the human body’s natural response it to produce the chemical adrenaline, this in turn prepares us for the ‘fight or flight’ response, where the body chooses to run or to brace and defend yourself.
This fear only becomes a phobia when we make a conscious decision to organise our life around the avoidance of a particular situation (eg. the dark) or and animal/object (eg.birds).
3. Post-traumatic stress disorder - Post-traumatic stress disorder relates to a series of flashbacks or anxiety about being in a similar situation to one you were in previously. It is most common among those who have worked in the emergency services or armed forces and have seen the horrors of death, torture, kidnap or injury. PTSD is not limited to these individuals however. It may be that those who have been abused or have been witness to a harrowing event will also suffer.
Those who suffer from PTSD may have recurring nightmares or flashbacks, a lack of feeling or numbness or alternatively a heightened sense of being ‘on guard’. Other Symptoms include, muscle aches and pains, diarrhoea, headaches, depression or the need to take drugs (usually prescription painkillers) and drink alcohol.
4. Social anxiety disorder - Social anxiety disorder or social phobia is a condition and persistent fear of being in social situations. It is the most common of the anxiety disorders and is often much more than being shy.
The anxiety stemmed from the social phobia could make it impossible for the victim to integrate with the public, attend large events, speak in public or even feel claustrophobic or intimidated when around others.
As well as having problems with the aforementioned everyday problems, sufferers may also have difficulty speaking on the phone, have low self esteem or struggle to work or talk to more authoritative figures.
How Adjustamatic can help
As those who suffer from anxiety will know there are many different treatments available, but perhaps the simplest and most natural is relaxation. As we previously mentioned, those who suffer from an anxiety disorder often struggle to remember the last time that they were able to shut off and relax, for that reason we are pleased to recommend our products as both treatment for anxiety and for tension relief.
Our stress free mattresses and stress free chairs, come complete with the latest technology, including our unique NHC Cyclo-Therapy System which will help you relax and relieve anxiety at the push of a button.
Independent research by both Universities and teaching hospitals show that the vibration therapy installed within our products can:
- Ease nervousness.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.